Sunday 15 November 2009

Seal/Imelda May/Sugarland


Abbey Road Studio Sessions

I'm currently watching the fantastic Abbey Road Studio sessions with three brilliant artists. Seal is the main performer, and I adore his incredibly soulful voice complete with fab band and large sting orchestra.

I'd never heard Imelda May but my foot was tapping right from the off to her eclectic blend of Irish folk/blues/jazz. I love the touch of the 50s-esque rock and roll guitar with the jazziness of the trumpet and upright bass; a real stomping performance.

For me though, the show was stolen by country duo Sugarland. I was first introduced to them back in 2006 when Jennifer Nettles did a country version of Bon Jovi's Who Says You Can't Go Home with the band, and it was thanks to her that made Bon Jovi the first rock band to top the Country charts in America and even win a CMA. She was today performing though with Sugarland and her voice grabs you tight and just does not let go; it's so Southern and just how you might imitate Dolly Parton et al. All three pieces were very much country ballads with mandolin and acoustic guitar but so very heartfelt and enjoyable; the feeling and passion is so raw and true and I totally urge you to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write :)